Making a Silicone Bracelet Mold: First Attempts (Part 2)

3This is Part 2 of my two-part post on my first attempt at making an original silicone bracelet mold for resin crating. Read Part 1 here.




I de-molded the bracelet after 24 hours. I kind of have mixed feelings about it.

First of all, let me say that the trick I tried, where I put the bracelet on little feet to encase the whole thing in silicone so it doesn’t have a raw edge? TOTALLY WORKS, YOU GUYS.


Check out this edge here. This is the raw edge (where I poured the resin in). This is the edge that normally needs a ton of sanding.

You can see a hole: that’s where one of the three “feet” was. I had thought I filled it in (in fact, I thought it would be a little post, not a hole!), but there it is. I think it’s because the brand of resin I am using shrinks a little as it cures, drawing in a little bubble of air at the opening.


This can easily be filled in though.

I later made a second copy of this bracelet (this time in a colorless, clear version), and made sure to fill in completely. It looks like this:


See how it’s a bump, not a bubble? Lessons learned!

And you can see a very thin ridge (along the red part), where the resin seeped out of the mold a little bit. It came through the hair-thin slice I made to extract the original bracelet form when I made the mold.


But it’s VERY thin, comes off really easily, and doesn’t need to be sanded.


This is the raw edge. As you can see, it’s not raw. It is shiny! Achieved without any sanding or finishing.

Above is what it looks like after I broke off the ridge. Can’t even tell it was there!

I rock.

For comparison, here’s a bracelet I made from an otherwise really great mold which I did not make:

13 12

That edge needs sanding like nobody’s business!

So that worked out great.

On the other hand, silicone is such a sensitive medium, that it showcases all the little imperfections in my original Sculpey bracelet form.

Let me tell you, I sanded the heck out of that thing. I think I spent two nights sanding. On top of that, I even gave it a coat of varnish, to make it extra sleek and shiny. But the silicone picked out all the little scratches and uneven bits.

Including a fingerprint, which I somehow missed. In my defense, it was on the inside.

Maybe I can achieve better results perfecting it with my Dremel, but for now I conclude that either I should spend something like a week sanding each bracelet form every night for 3 hours per night, or just use the Sculpey technique for making free-form, whimsical bracelets, where little scratches and bumps aren’t as important. I think that’s just a feature of shaping something by hand- it will never be free of little imperfections.

For molding sleek, shiny bracelets, I will probably just need to buy factory-made ones, and use them as dummies for my molds.


And here it is- a bracelet I truly made myself, start to finish. Not something I copied. Not something cast from a mold I bought off another artist. Just entirely my own design, out of raw materials.

Okay, it’s a bit simplistic. And flawed. But it’s all mine!


One comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s